I've just published my second post on the Chanel jacket sew-along blog: ...and the pattern. Oh, the pattern!
When it was time to choose the pattern I recalled I had seen a Chanel style pattern on Burda Magazine 10/2009 - 128. I started working with it, making the alterations I usually need. I could not make it fit, no matter how I tried... It was probably a wrong combination between the checked fabric, the diagonal dart and the amount of fabric I should have added to make my FBA.
Then Burda Magazine 02/2010 was published and pattern 108 simply called me from the pages of the magazine.
I tried altering again the pattern from the October 2009 issue with no success, then I finally decided to try with the pattern from the February 2010 issue. It worked at the first try!!!
My idea was to distort the fabric grain as little as possible, so I transformed the vertical dart into an armhole princess seam and moved the back darts into the side seams.
I wanted the front pieces to overlap to have buttons (the original pattern did not overlap), so I separated the facing piece from the front piece and added the necessary amount to get it.
The sleeves, finally, were too close fitting, so they needed to be enlarged.
A lot of work, but I had a pattern for my jacket!!!
Here follows my pattern modifications:
armhole princess seam + full bust adjustment:
Full arm adjustment:
It was time to play with the fabric, then!